Moroccan Court Extends Sentence of Activist Over Criticism of Earthquake Response

0

Said Ait Mahdi’s prison sentence was extended to one year by a Moroccan appeals court for defamation after he criticized the government’s response to the 2023 earthquake. His case has raised concerns over the treatment of activists, especially as affected areas continue to deal with significant destruction and loss of life. The government is investing $11 billion in reconstruction efforts.

A Moroccan appeals court has increased the prison sentence of activist Said Ait Mahdi to one year, up from the original three-month term for defamation, as reported by his attorney. Ait Mahdi, who advocates for victims of the 2023 earthquake in Morocco, has been in custody since December 23 after criticizing the government’s handling of the disaster response.

Initially sentenced in January to three months for defamation and insult, Ait Mahdi’s case took a serious turn when the Marrakesh appeals court imposed a harsher one-year sentence. His lawyer, Mohamed El Ghalloussi, described this decision as “very harsh and shocking.” Additionally, three other individuals previously acquitted also received four-month prison sentences for insulting public officials in social media posts deemed offensive by local authorities.

The El Haouz province, significantly affected by the 6.8-magnitude earthquake in September 2023, experienced widespread devastation, resulting in nearly 3,000 fatalities and 5,600 injuries, alongside the destruction of approximately 60,000 homes. Many victims have been forced to survive winter in tents, highlighting the urgent need for assistance and reconstruction.

Ait Mahdi’s organization has consistently advocated for prompt reconstruction efforts and increased aid for those displaced by the earthquake. In December, the Moroccan government disclosed that it had approved 57,000 reconstruction permits, noting progress with over 35,000 homes having been either constructed or are currently under construction. Furthermore, $11 billion has been allocated for a comprehensive five-year reconstruction and development initiative encompassing the six most affected provinces.

The increase in Said Ait Mahdi’s sentence reflects ongoing tensions between activists and the Moroccan government regarding disaster response transparency. The decision has drawn criticism, highlighting the harsh treatment of those advocating for the rights of earthquake victims. Amid ongoing challenges, the government continues to commit substantial resources toward rebuilding efforts in the earthquake-affected regions.

Original Source: newscentral.africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *